- To acquire knowledge on hydraulic machines such as pumps and turbine
- To understand the working of air compressors and do the analysis
At the end of the course, the students will be able to
1. Discuss the characteristics of the centrifugal pump and reciprocating pumps
2. Calculate forces and work done by a jet on fixed or moving plate and curved plates
3. Know the working of turbines and select the type of turbine for an application.
4. Do the analysis of air compressors and select the suitable one for a specific application
- Teacher: Robin David
Introduction, concepts of stress, equations of equilibrium, strain components, strain-displacement relations, compatibility conditions, constitutive relations, boundary conditions, 2D problems in elasticity, Airy's stress function method, unsymmetrical bending of straight beams, bending of curved beams, shear center, energy methods in elasticity, torsion of non-circular solid shafts, torsion of thin walled tubes.
- Teacher: Vishnu Girish C
Probability is important in every branch of engineering, especially for doing reliability analyses.
In the field of digital radio communications, probability is absolutely central. It’s the most direct application of probability theory in engineering that I can think of, with the possible exception of designing electronic slot machines. Noise is a classic random process, and our job is to minimize the probability of a bit or message being received in error due to that noise.
The design of error correction codes for digital communications and storage is also highly mathematical, requiring a good understanding of both probability and statistics.
In the design of circuits and systems, it is often important that the characteristic of some circuit element like its resistance or inductance has to be kept within a certain range in order for the circuit to operate properly, so the probability distribution of this kind of parameter becomes important.
In product development and manufacturing planning, uncertainty as to product demand and component availability are frequently of concern, and again, intelligent judgments as to probability are required.
Of course, probability is very well essential for engineers.
This course aims:
- Teacher: Aiswarya S Sasidharan